Technology snippets in the South Wales area of the UK 1950
|Various bits of
information about radio, TV, home electrical goods and events and companies in the South Wales area.
If you have any
personal memories of these events or establishments - please let me know.
Winter Trading Opens new
Branch in Cardiff (June 1950)
A branch office was
opened by Winter Trading and was under the charge of V. Taylor. The
branch carried a comprehensive stock of radio and electrical merchandise,
and a trade counter was established for the use of customers in the S.
Trading Co. Ltd.
31 Bridge Street
Cardiff, Glamorgan shire.
Hoover International Sales Conference,
Factory Extensions Planned (November 1950)
Managers of Hoover, Ltd., arrived at the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate, on
November 1, from all over the United Kingdom and from Eire, France, Belgium,
Holland and Switzerland for an international sales conference.
Their chairman, Sir Charles Colston, C.B.E., M.C., D.C.M., told them in his
review that, although the company had faced increased costs of wages,
materials and services, it had succeeded in keeping prices down to almost
pre-war level. In relation to the general price level ruling to-day in
Britain, the price of the Hoover electric cleaner is substantially lower
than it was in 1939.
In spite of economic difficulties, the total number of cleaners sold last
year was more than double that of the company's record pre-war year, while
the sale of the washing machine last year exceeded the total retail turnover
of the company in the record year before the war.
In the national interest the company had located its washing machine
factories in the South Wales development area of Merthyr Tydfil, Cyfarthfa
and Aberdare, and that afternoon H.R.H. Princess Margaret had visited the
factory at Merthyr Tydfil in the course of her tour of South Wales.
Demand for the Hoover washing machine at home and abroad was now so great
that already important extensions were being made to the factory at Merthyr
and the company was negotiating with the Board of Trade for the doubling of
Philips Electrical Branch Expansion (November
Philips Electrical, Ltd., continuing their policy of improving the local
service available for dealers throughout the country, announce the following
additions and alterations to their provincial branch premises. "... Cardiff branch has moved to bigger and more convenient premises at 11-13
Penarth Road, Cardiff, and a well-fitted showroom will be shortly opened.